Pumpkin Patch Infant Hat and Mitten Set

Knitting for a baby is a wonderful way to make a personalized gift, but the usual baby blanket takes a lot of time and patience. Instead, I like to knit hat and mitten sets for new arrivals. This way I can make something special for the baby, and save my sanity at the same time. Usually I knit with either pink or blue yarn, but if the baby is due in the fall, I came up with a quick pattern to dress the little one for the harvest.

This pattern is easy enough that it can be knit over a weekend. I used Bernat Softee Baby yarn in pumpkin and then Red Heart Café Latte for the pom pom on top of the hat. You will also need a pom pom maker, a tapestry needle to sew up the seams and some green ribbon for the mitten ties. I learned to knit using a mitten pattern and I still enjoy knitting them. It only uses a small amount of yarn, so you’ll have plenty left over to make more sets.

Pumpkin Patch Infant Hat & Mitten Set
Size 6 straight knitting needles
-1 tapestry needle
-Pom Pom maker
-30” piece of 1/8 inch green ribbon, cut in half
-Bernat Softee Baby in pumpkin
-Red Heart Super Saver in Café Latte

Infant Pumpkin Hat
-Using size 6 needles, cast on 56 stitches of Bernat Softee yarn in color Pumpkin
-Work in ribbing of k1, p1 for first 4 rows
-Then start pumpkin pattern as follows:

Row 1: *K7, P1, repeat from *, ending with K8.

Row 2: P row.

-Repeat rows 1 & 2 until piece measures 4 inches, then reduce as follows:
-*K2 together 3x, P2 together, repeat from *, ending with K2 together 4x.P row

-K2 together across row

-P row

-K2 together across row. Cut yarn leaving enough of a tail to sew the seam. Gather remaining 7 stitches and thread w/tapestry needle. Sew seam.

-Using a pom pom maker or a piece of cardboard, make a pom pom using the Red Heart yarn in color Café Latte. Attach to the top of the hat.

Thumbless Pumpkin Mittens
-Using size 4 knitting needles, cast on 30 stitches of Bernat Softee Baby yarn in color pumpkin.
-Work in ribbing, K1, P1 for 10 rows.
-Create eyelet as follows: K1, *yo, K2 together, repeat from *, ending with K1
-Continue ribbing, K1, P1, for 4 more rows.
-Then create pumpkin pattern as follows:
1. *K5, P1, repeat from *, ending with K6
2. P row
-Continue repeating rows 1 & 2 for 20 rows, then reduce mitten as follows:
-*K2 together 2x, P2 together, repeat from * ending w/k2 together 3x.
– P row
-K2 together across row, ending with K1
-P row
-K2 together across row.
-Cut yarn leaving a long enough length to sew the seam. Gather the remaining stitches on a tapestry needle and sew seam.
-Cut 30” ribbon in half so you have 2 15” pieces. Thread green ribbon in the eyelet holes and tie in a bow on the front of the mitten.

The Santa Scarf

Want an accessory that screams holiday cheer? Look no further, the Santa Scarf is the knitting project for you. This pattern is easy and simple enough to knit while you watch your favorite Christmas movie or binge Netflix. And if you are stuck in the house during the quarantine, now is the time to start a new project you can wear this holiday season. What better way to relax than to bring a little holiday cheer into your life? All you need is some basic knitting skills and some yarn to get started.

It took a few trips to the craft store to find just the right colors and textures to make this scarf work. Luckily, I was working on this pattern during the last holiday season and was able to do my research before the quarantine took effect. I settled on Lion Heart Basic Stitch in Red Heather for the bulk of the scarf and Bernat Pipsqueak in Whitey White for the trim. The Pipsqueak yarn is a bulky, baby yarn and it takes a while to get used to knitting it in the round, so I recommend taking it slow at first. But once you see how it works against the red yarn, you’ll see it was worth the effort. When I was finished, I closed the ends of the scarf with some white embroidering floss.

The Santa Scarf is a wonderful accessory to dress up any coat during the holiday season. Whether you are picking out the tree, holiday shopping, or attending the town tree lighting, the Santa Scarf is the perfect added touch. It will make any coat pop with Santa spirit and if you are a fast knitter, you may even be able to make a few for gifts. So, set up your favorite show and get knitting!

The Santa Scarf
24” size 10 circular knitting needles
3 skeins of Lion Heart Basic Stitch, Red Heather
2 skeins of Bernat Pipsqueak, Whitey White
White embroidering floss to sew ends

  1. Cast on 80 stitches of the Bernat Pipsqueak Whitey White yarn. Join in the round and K for next 30 rows, or until piece measures about 6”.
  2. Attach the Lion Heart Basic Stitch in Red Heather and continue to K in the round until piece measures about 50-55 inches.
  3. Reattach the Bernat Pipsqueak Whitey White yarn and K for 30 more rows. Bind off and sew ends together using the white embroidering floss or white thread.
  4. Wrap your finished scarf around your neck and feel the Santa Cheer! Enjoy!
Sewing the ends together